Sunday 9 February 2020

Netflix Must Watch: Horse Girl

Image result for netflix horse girl



Hi guys, I’ve been wanting to review this for a long time. Originally, I thought this was going to be a series, but I was very pleasantly surprised when I opened my Netflix and saw that it was a film. I’d seen many trailers for this movie, but hadn’t seen many press releases until I saw the movie had just been released as I follow Debby Ryan on Instagram (one of the main actresses in the film).
After I saw this, I knew I wanted to watch the film, I clicked on it straight away as I usually just wait until a few weeks. However, I knew I had to get back on the blogging bandwagon, so I clicked on the film and hoped for the best.


Firstly, I thought this film was going to be about horses given the title of ‘Horse Girl’ but let me tell you – I was soooo wrong. Secondly, I loved how Alison Brie had written this movie along with the director Jeff Baena, which showed that Brie had fully thought out her own character direction and could give her own interpretations of how she wanted this movie to go along with the director’s guidance.


Initially, when I watched the movie, I was confused what the direction of the movie was going to go in as this movie is about a young woman called Sarah (played by Brie) who’s isolated and not in touch with her reality. The latter, gets more and more weird as the movie goes on.


 Furthermore, it just shows that you should not judge a book by its cover as I previously said what I thought it was going to be about, however, this was not the case.
The movie does not have a specific genre as it’s said to be ‘genre-bending’ and when you get to watch the movie (which I highly recommend), you’ll see why.
I also thought that  all of the characters (except for Sarah) were  made up, this wasn’t true, but as the movie got weirder and weirder I thought that this was going to be true. 
Also, the ending does not explain things in a linear way, you are kept guessing, which doesn’t explain things when throughout the majority of the film you’re really confused at what is actually happening.
Regardless of not knowing half the time what was actually happening, I did think this film was beautifully documented as throughout we see  Sarah’s transition from ‘sane’ to ‘crazy’ decline showing how mental health affects people dramatically.
This movie did not glamorise mental health at all, all it did was made people aware with the signs of someone with mental health issues – psychotic depression specifically. Mental Health is obviously a huge topic, and this film just illustrates how it is demonstrated in everyday life.

I do hope you get to watch this film as this is something truly great.

xNx


No comments:

Post a Comment