Tuesday 15 January 2019

Netflix Review: 'You'

Image result for you netflix  poster





Hi guys,  today I will be reviewing a Netflix show which is called 'You'. You might have already heard of this show as there are many reviews on the Net, however, you may not have watched the show and have just read the book. If you have watched the show, that's great, but if you're still wondering what 'You' is all about, here are my thoughts about it. 

I first heard of 'You' as I was scrolling through books to read also I think someone had mentioned it on their YouTube channel but I'm not sure. Before I bought the book, I first read the reviews as I wanted to see what everyone else had thought of it; and because everyone else liked it and the plot seemed good, I decided to order it from Waterstones.

Once I received the book, I was reading it non-stop, the book by Caroline Kepnes surrounds this bookshop worker named Joe Goldburg who develops a crush on one of his customers named Beck. Further on into the book it covers how Joe's creepiness wins Beck around while Beck has no idea about his alter ego. 
I mean Joe does everything to get Beck's attention which includes killing her ex lover, killing her best friend and tracking her on her devices (which she does not know about). However, he justifies it by saying it was all in her best interests. 
Unfortunately, I stopped reading the book as it was too slow for me to get through and the psychological darkness was really draining. Therefore, it was a Godsent when Netflix revealed they were going to be making it into a series. (Sidenote: I am more of a watcher of programmes than a reader). 

'You' on Netflix has some big names in the show which included Penn Badgley starring as the infamous Joe Goldburg, while Shay Mitchell was starring as Peach Salinger (one of Beck's friends). I knew it was going to be worth the wait. 
'You' finally came onto Netflix and Season 1 comprised of 10 episodes totalling 45 mins each episode. The show was even more darker and creepier than I had imagined, Badgley played Joe's weird alter ego really well, while Mitchell played the pretentious Peach Salinger effortlessly.  
Netflix even switched the show up a bit by introducing the audience to Paco and his family who are non-exsistent in the book. I believe they did this to show the audience what influence Joe might have on Paco when he grows up, similar to the relationship that Mr Mooney and Joe had when he was a child, (however this is just my interpretation). 

Finally, I love how 'You' makes you almost feel sympathetic for Joe, which is something Badgley finds very off-putting (search his Twitter responses). 

I'm so looking forward to Season 2 after that cliffhanger (If you don't know what I'm talking about you must watch it). 

xNx

No comments:

Post a Comment